Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bubba Gump

Today was another same-old sort of day. It was just interns today so we had a good time and I gave two more Spanish tours, which are increasingly better with practice. I miss talking speaking Spanish so much and unfortunately this is more or less my only opportunity so I'm learning to enjoy it. The second family I talked to today had two or three young kids and another high school aged kid. At some point the older child was clearly holding back a little laughter so I said something like, "hey give me a break I'm trying" and he shut up really quickly. Bless his heart I think I embarrassed him a little, though I hadn't taken it personally - it's not the first time someone has laughed at my Spanish and it won't be the last. And quite frankly I'm proud of my ability to speak at the level I'm at, so there. But that wasn't an invitation for a challenge, please be kind!

I think the highlight of my day was a little STI factoid I learned. We get by on the generous donations of our visitors and the public, but there are a few groups and organizations who send very large annual contributions to help us out. So, I assumed that part of these donations we receive every day went to pay for my paycheck. As it turns out the money I use to pay for groceries and rent comes from Bubba Gump. Now granted all I know about the Bubba Gump Corporation is from the movie with Tom Hanks, but I learned that they donate 2 cents from every dinner ordered to Sea Turtle, Inc. and then that money goes to pay the salaries of our interns. What a bizarre connection.

Ok I'm off, I have to wrap our house-warming gift for Adrienne and Tom and get my pancake ingredients together for dinner. Thankfully I'm off tomorrow so I'll be sleeping in late and maybe finishing a book and doing laundry.

These are more of Adrienne's pictures, some more babies and the picture of Fred that will be gracing a postcard soon.

Smile - never doubt how much that can improve someone's day.

No comments: