Friday, July 11, 2008

here comes the sun...

The weather has been beautiful the past few days, which I suppose explains the slower days we've been having here. It finally cleared up and know everyone is out on the beach. As have I actually, it's been so nice to take a good book outside and enjoy the warm sun and clear skies.

It's been a good few days here at STI. On Wednesday morning we got a call for a little turtle on the bay side and Jeff let me respond. I of course was so excited to go out there, so it was pretty disappointing when I realized it was only a fresh water turtle and it had gotten away before I got there. The rest of the morning at STI was pretty busy and I was in the gift shop for hours and was almost constantly busy. The highlight of my day though was a visit from Jaime Pena from Gladys Porter Zoo and Hector from the turtle camp Rancho Nuevo in Mexico. It's always fun to visit with them and I get particularly excited because I am able to talk to Hector in Spanish. Last time I saw Hector I told him how much I liked the Rancho Nuevo camp t-shirt so when they stopped by he was kind enough to bring me one, which I'll proudly be sporting very soon. The rest of that afternoon was a little slow so Adrienne, Tom, Tom and I ordered pizza for lunch and spent most of our time folding the 8 boxes of t-shirts our UPS man Louie delivered. It was also a good and challenging day for me because I gave a short tour to a very appreciative and patient Spanish family, which was a very encouraging experience for me.

Yesterday I was off, but unfortunately was woken early anyway by my roommate's dog who needed to go outside. Since I was up I went into Brownsville to get away from the island for awhile and I ate lunch at Burger King so I could utilize their free wireless internet. They started serving a veggie burger that is actually pretty good.

Today we had another busy morning with a slow afternoon so I bagged a lot of little rubber turtles for the gift shop and folded another delivery of t-shirts. We aren't expecting more babies until Wednesday so it looks like it will be another fairly normal few days. But then again I always seem to be surprised...

Meditate. Listen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watch the public release Tuesday morning and took some nice photographs. I sent some of them to the main address on this site. Can you confirm they were received?

amfrankel said...

Because I don't check the STI email account I'm not sure at the moment, though I suppose that Jeff did receive them. I'll check with him and see if someone can send you a response. You can always send pictures to my address frankela@southwestern.edu and I would be happy to post them, show them around and get back to you. Thank you for sending them our way!