Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hello Dolly

Thank you for all of the messages and positive thinking that you've been sending our way. All but one of the interns stayed on the island through the storm (and though it was quite an adventure in retrospect maybe it wasn't the safest option). STI was hit pretty badly, there should be an update and more information about the damage on the STI homepage or news page and eventually there will be pictures of the damage and clean up work on the site as well. Water was finally restored, but because the electricity will probably be out for another week I'm not sure when I'll be able to blog next, but keep checking - it'll be up eventually. Keep thinking positive thoughts...trying to sleep in south Texas with no air conditioning and no real ventilation or breeze through the house is getting to be unbearable.

Make an emergency pack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann,

I just read your blog from Sat. I also had read somewhere that you guys were in need of a generator. I sent my husband there with ours but he couldn't find anyone to talk with. If you still need it let me know tacouvillion@comcast.net. He is leaving the island today but will drop it off.

Tari Couvillion
A big Fred fan.

Anonymous said...

Ann,

God Bless you and your co interns for your hardy endurance and staying on the island with the turtles during Dolly and continuing to endure the hardships of post-Dolly.
Actually, I was worried about the roof being blown off and crashing down on the tanks & turtles. I was so happy to hear that you all came out OK.
We visited STI in late Feb. and I fell in love with the facility & turtles.and I had planned to volunteer for winter 2009. I even have an application. I live in CA, 2,000 miles away and given the current gas prices, I am not sure we'll be able to make it down there this winter. However, I am working on it and hope to meet you and your co workers in person.

I don't know your needs, but if there is anyway I can help out from so far away, do let me know.
Take Care & Keep Safe.
Connie Senseney, retired CA teacher

Chrissy said...

Our whole department here at the library has been thinking about you and the turtles and everyone else we met during our visit. I can't believe we missed Dolly by a week! I hope everyone is okay and that things get back to normal soon.